Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Thing #21- Audio eBooks

I'd never looked into audio books before- I tend to read faster than the recorder of the audio book and don't have the patience to sit through an audio recording. With text, I can usually read a book *and* listen to music- my busy schedule necessitates as much efficiency as I can manage. But I enjoyed browsing these sites, esp. the Project Gutenberg one. Lots of interesting links, esp. the Librivox one. I can see how people would enjoy listening to books rather than reading them, esp. if they do other things like driving and working out that don't allow as much time to read text books. I found several titles that I might listen to later, for more practice in foreign language comprehension and listening- it was nice to hear actual voices reading a text, with normal inflections and emphases. The recordings that come with textbooks aren't as authentic sometimes. The iPod and Apple computer thing wasn't a big deal- I normally just use Windows computers. This would be an interesting idea to incorporate into a visiting class or an academic curriculum, as an alternative to reading tons of textual material.

No comments: